Sunday, December 28, 2008

elements of visual thinking: scale

sorry, this isn't my type final, as I had promised, but I found myself searching through the clusterfuck that is my back up harddrive and I came across this project from freshman year. elements of visual thinking was a required class for foundation year and I'm glad it was, sometimes I miss taking a class where (almost) anything goes.



like this cardboard city I made for that class. (I got away with some of the most absurd stuff in that class) this particular assignment's prompt was simply "scale", the responses were very diverse (from 12 foot filbert paintbrushes to a replica of the world small enough to fit in the palm of your hand). in my response, I aimed to scale down and then scale up by first creating a miniature cityscape for my classmates to walk through and interact with. Then, using my laptop's built-in camera, a projector, and a bit of IM magic courtesy of anthony mattox, I projected live video of the city on the opposing wall, so people could watch themselves walk through the "city" on a larger-than-(real)-life scale in real time.



this is a pretty bad photo of the whole setup, actual city on the left, projection on the right, anthony in the middle, classmates too tired to interact yet.

scale: dai taking a seat

dai taking a seat



in the end, "interaction" became "destroying" the city (not that I minded)

scale: post-destruction

all that remained was the "sky"


since all of the readers of this blog also follow my flickr, you've probably seen these already, but I've been uploading a lot more schoolwork from the past three semesters so hopefully posting will become more frequent.

No comments:

Post a Comment